Hey there, beach-loving parents! We know how much fun family beach days can be, but we also know they can be a bit of a workout just getting everything set up. Once you're all settled in, though, it's time for some well-deserved YOU time! And what better way to make the most of your beach trip than with a fun and effective beach workout? Not only will you get your heart pumping and feel great, but you'll also be able to keep an eye on your little ones at the same time.
We totally understand that working out with kids around can be a challenge, but don't worry - we've got you covered! We've put together some easy-to-follow workout ideas that are perfect for the beach. Plus, we'll give you some tips on how to keep your whole family active and safe all day long.
So grab your sunscreen, your little ones, and let's get that beach body glistening!
Preparation for a beach workout during your family beach day
That's right, preparation is key when it comes to having a successful family beach day! Make sure you pack your cooler with plenty of water and healthy snacks to keep everyone fueled up and hydrated. And don't forget to check out our beach checklist at the end of this post to make sure you've got everything you need for a fun and fitness-filled day in the sun!
Create your home base with everything you’ll need for your beach day
When you arrive at the beach, it's important to create a solid home base for your family. Set up an umbrella, beach tent, or playpen with lots of fun toys to keep your little ones occupied and contained while you workout. If you're looking for a safe and convenient option, consider using a playpen like the Pop N' Go Playpen. Not only does it provide shade for your kiddos, but it also keeps them contained and happy while you get your sweat on.
Of course, before diving into your workout routine, make sure your kids have had plenty of time to explore and play in the water. And don't forget to reapply sunscreen regularly throughout the day.
Once your little ones are settled and happy, it's time to start your beach workout! Check out some of these exercises that you can do while keeping an eye on your kids.
Beach Workout #1: Beachside Burpees
We won't spend too much time on this exercise, because we know it's both notorious and laborious, but it's worth mentioning: burpees! Perform a set of burpees on the sand, combining a squat, plank, push-up, and jump for a full-body workout. Keep in mind that the sand will make these much more challenging than a typical burpee, so be prepared to feel the burn!
Beach Workout #2: Sand Resistance Training
For these exercises, you'll need an empty yet sturdy bag, like a canvas bag, that you can fill with sand. It's important not to overdo it with weight, as it's your form mixed with the instability of the sand that will really help you feel the burn. Here are some exercises to try:
- Sandbag Squats: Hold the sandbag in front of your chest and perform squats to challenge your leg muscles and core stability.
- Sand Dumbbell or Kettlebell Lunges: Hold a dumbbell or kettlebell in each hand and perform lunges in the sand for a great lower body workout.
- Push-Ups with Hand or Foot Placement on Towels: Place your hands or feet on folded towels while doing push-ups to engage different muscle groups. The instability of the sand and the added resistance of the towels make this exercise extra challenging!
So grab your sandbag and towels and let's get to work!
Beach Workout #3: Beach Yoga or Pilates
Yoga is one of the best workouts you can do while watching your little ones at the beach. You don't even need a traditional yoga or pilates mat for a killer beach workout. Instead, try getting an extra large towel or mat so you can share your yoga space with your little ones while you strike a warrior pose! This is a great way to bond with your kids and also get some much-needed stretching and relaxation after a long day at the beach. So grab a towel or mat and strike a pose!
Beach Workout #4: Water Based Workouts
Swimming or water aerobics can be a fun way to get your kids involved in your beach workout, but it's important to stress that they should be strong swimmers and the beach conditions should be safe. If you feel confident, get in the water and workout with your little ones in tow. Always be vigilant and never go too deep if the conditions aren't right.
To make your water workout even more fun, consider using a waterproof phone case so you can bring your phone with you in the water and play some fun family tunes while you get your heart rate up! This is a great way to keep your family entertained while also getting some exercise in. So grab your swimsuits and hit the water for a refreshing and energizing workout!
Beach Workout #5: Beach Sports & Games
What better way to receive the benefits of low impact high resistance sand activity than to play beach sports with your kids! Here are some fun and active games you can try:
Beach Volleyball: Gather friends or family for a game of beach volleyball, which provides a great cardio workout while engaging your upper body, core, and legs.
Frisbee: Play an active game of frisbee, running and jumping to catch and throw the frisbee. This improves agility, coordination, and cardiovascular endurance.
Beach Soccer: Organize a friendly match of beach soccer combining sprinting, kicking, and team collaboration for an exhilarating workout.
Remember to warm up properly before any beach workout and cool down afterward to prevent injuries. Playing beach sports with your kids is a fun and effective way to get some exercise while also enjoying quality time together on the sand. So grab a ball or frisbee and let's play!
Beach Workout #6: Baby-Wearing Workouts
Working out with a newborn can be challenging, but it's definitely doable with the right equipment and exercises. Incorporating your baby into your beach workout can be a fantastic way to bond and stay active together. Baby-wearing workouts allow you to use the weight of your baby as resistance while engaging in various exercises. Here are some ideas:
- Squats and Lunges: Use your baby's weight to challenge your leg muscles by performing squats and lunges while wearing them in a carrier.
- Walking or Jogging: Take a walk or light jog on the sand with your baby in a carrier. This is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise while bonding with your little one.
- Dancing or Aerobic Movements: Put on some music and dance around with your baby in a carrier. This is a fun way to get your heart rate up and bond with your baby at the same time.
- Core Exercises: Engage your core muscles by performing exercises like standing twists, side bends, or gentle crunches while holding your baby securely. Be mindful of your baby's comfort and always prioritize safety.
Remember, it's essential to choose a comfortable and ergonomic baby carrier that provides proper support for both you and your baby. Ensure that your baby's head and neck are adequately supported, and regularly check for any signs of discomfort. With these tips, you can have a successful and safe workout while bonding with your little one at the beach.
Beach Workout #7: Stroller or Jogging Stroller Exercises
If you have a stroller or jogging stroller, it can be a valuable tool for your beach workout. Here are some exercises you can incorporate:
- Power Walking or Jogging: Take your child for a walk or jog on the sand while pushing the stroller. This is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise while giving your child some outdoor time.
- Stroller Lunges: Hold onto the stroller while performing lunges to challenge your leg muscles.
- Stroller Squats: Hold onto the stroller while performing squats to challenge your leg muscles and core stability.
- Stroller Circuit Training: Create a circuit by incorporating various exercises, such as push-ups against the stroller, tricep dips using the stroller's handles, or step-ups onto a stable surface while the stroller stays parked.
Ensure that the stroller is in good condition and properly maintained for optimal safety. Check that the brakes are working correctly, the tires are properly inflated, and the stroller is sturdy.
Remember, the goal is to create a positive and enjoyable experience for your child while prioritizing their safety and well-being. With these tips, you can have a successful and safe workout while keeping your little one entertained and engaged at the beach.
Working out on the beach with your baby or kids can be an exceptional way to create lasting memories while staying fit and active. By following the safety guidelines, incorporating various exercises for parents and children, and planning an engaging beach workout routine, you can transform your beach visits into a healthy and fun family experience. Remember, the key is to find a balance between exercise and enjoying the beach environment together, ensuring everyone's well-being and happiness.
To make sure you're fully prepared for your next beach workout, check out our complete beach workout checklist.
Family Beach Workout Gear Checklist:
- Water bottles and plenty of them
- Beach Hats
- Beach Tent, Umbrella, or Playpen
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+)
- Beach cover ups (SPF rated gives you bonus points)
- Snacks (fresh fruit, crackers, granola bars, trail mix, etc.)
- Beach Toys (pales/shovels, beach balls, water toys, etc.)
- Towels (both microfiber for moisture wicking and standard cotton beach towels)
- Yoga mat or large beach towel
- Empty sturdy bags (can be filled up with sand for squats & more)
- Shoes (athletic shoes that you’re ok with getting sandy)
- Carrier (if you plan to bring your baby with you on light jog)
- Jogger Stroller (find one with a wide wheel base if you’re running on a flat beach surface)
- Waterproof phone case or fanny pack (to keep your phone and valuables safe)